Custom roles and permissions
Admins can define user roles by using a customized set of permissions, like allowing certain users the ability to create rules or restricting them from responding to messages.
These are additional custom permission levels other than Team Member, Team Admin, and Company Admin, that can be applied to users on your account or Team.
Custom roles are defined at the Team level. If you have multiple Teams, roles created on Team A will not be visible in the list of roles for Team B.
When to use Roles & Permissions
If your Operations team consists of roles like City Manager or Team Lead, you can set up roles with permissions between the standard Team Member and Admin.
You can restrict the ability to create tags to help enforce workflows and keep your setup clean. Use the Team tags - create / edit / delete permission.
You can designate who can create and edit signatures and canned responses to build consistent messaging for your support team. Use the Team signatures - create / edit / delete and Team canned responses - create / edit / delete permissions.
When onboarding and training new teammates, you can grant them access to shared inboxes to collaborate internally such as on drafts, but limit their ability to send outbound messages until they are fully trained. Use the Messages - send permission.
You can limit assignment responsibility to a manager, so agents can focus on the messages being assigned to them. Use the Conversations - assign permission.
These permissions will restrict the user from taking these actions on team inboxes. For example, if you restrict tags, the user can't create team tags but they can still create individual tags. They will still have full access to their individual inbox rights. Below is a list of permissions.
- Messages - send (Note: this only restricts sending from team channels, and any teammate can still send from their own private channel)
- Comment - send
- Conversations - assign
- Conversations - archive
- Conversations - delete / mark as spam
- Conversations - move
- Team inboxes - create / edit / delete / manage access
- Team contacts - block sender
- Team tags - create / edit / delete
- Apply / remove tags to conversations
- Canned responses
- Team canned responses - create / edit / delete
- Team signatures - create / edit / delete
- Access analytics
- Reports - create / edit / delete
- Access sequeneces
- Teammates - invite / manage
- Rules - create / edit / delete
- Roles & permissions
- Roles - create / edit / delete
- Audit trail
- Access audit trail
Create a custom role
To create a custom role with custom permissions, follow this guide.
Helpful to know
- All teammates have the ability to create drafts and share drafts.
- All teammates can send from their private channels, which are not restricted with these permissions settings.
This feature is available on the Enterprise plan or above. Some legacy plans with different names may also have this feature.