Import your Freshdesk history into Front
If you previously used Freshdesk, you can import your history into Front.
How it works
We will import:
- Conversations and messages
- Conversation assignments
We will not import:
Part 1: Input your API key
Click the gear icon on the top right of Front and into the Company settings tab, and select Imports from the left menu.
Select Freshdesk from the list.
Log into your Freshdesk account, navigate to My Profile Settings and copy the API key under Your API Key.
In Front, paste the API key you copied from Freshdesk into the API Key field.
Enter your Freshdesk Subdomain. For instance, if the full URL is http://frontapphelp.freshdesk.com then the subdomain is frontapphelp.
Part 2: Configure your import
Select a Workspace to import your Freshdesk history to, and select a default teammate. The teammate you choose under Select Default Teammate is the Front teammate to which messages and comments will be attributed to, in the case there is no matching Front teammate for the Freshdesk Agent.
We need to do this because comments and messages need to have an author in Front. In case the Freshdesk Agent does not exist in Front, we will fallback the teammate you selected in this step.
Match Freshdesk Agents to your Front teammates.
- If Use default is selected in Match Freshdesk Agents to Front Teammates, the teammate specified in Select Default Teammate will be used.
- Ensure all teammates are members of the Workspace used for Select Workspace, otherwise the import will not start.
- If the Freshdesk Agent does not exist in Front, there is an option to invite them to Front and all tickets/conversations authored or assigned by them will be imported under their name.
Match Freshdesk Groups to your Front inboxes. You will have a few different options in how to map over the Freshdesk Groups:
- Match to an existing Front inbox: Ensure the inbox is part of the Workspace you selected in the Select Workspace dropdown. The import will not start if the existing inboxes do not belong to the selected Workspace.
- Skip Group: All tickets for that group will be ignored.
- Create new Inbox: A new shared inbox will be created in the Workspace selected.
Note: If you have multiple Workspaces, and inboxes are in different Workspaces, you can repeat the steps above for each Workspace.
Click Next and the import will begin.
You will see a status page that tells you the status of the import. The different statuses are:
- Searching: The importer is determining the total number of groups and tickets to be imported.
- Importing Groups as Inboxes: We are importing groups from Freshdesk and creating inboxes for them.
- Importing Teammates: We are creating new Front teammates, using the Freshdesk Agent’s email and name.
- Importing Tickets as Conversations: We are importing tickets and conversations from Freshdesk and creating conversations, messages and comments for them. The assignee, status, and attachments will be respected when ported over to Front. Note: We will try to import as much history possible. Freskdesk will allow a maximum of 30,000 tickets exported.
- Done: All done importing!
Important to know
- Do not delete inboxes related to this import in Front while the import is running or else the import will stop.
- In general every 3000 Freshdesk tickets equates to about 1 hour of import time to Front.